The Cabinet is the top decision making body of Government, all functions of Government sit under the authority of Cabinet.
Only Parliament can undo a Cabinet decision, and only through a vote of No Confidence in the Government, which triggers a new election.
Once Cabinet has adopted a policy, all parts of Government are obliged to implement it.
The Cabinet works as a team to look directly at the needs of the people; it is not their role to be concerned with Ministry work programs and workloads. In some cases a Ministry is not able to implement a Cabinet decision due to lack of funding or lack of staff resources but in all such cases the Cabinet needs to be informed and given an opportunity to provide for the work to be carried out.
Current Cabinet members comprise of (2016 – to date):
1. H.E Taneti Maamau, President
2. Hon. Kourabi Nenem, Vice President and Minister for Public Works and Utilities
3. Hon. Tetabo Nakara, Minister for Fisheries and Marine Resources Development
4. Hon. Tebao Awerika, Minister for Environment, Lands and Agriculture Development
5. Hon. Alexander Teabo, Minister for Education
6. Hon. Kobebe Taitai, Minister for Health and Medical Services
7. Hon. Dr. Teuea Toatu, Minister for Finance and Economic Development
8. Hon. Ruateki Tekaiara, Minister for Labour and Human Resource Development
9. Hon. Tauanei Marea, Minister for Commerce and Industry & Cooperative
10. Hon. Willie Tokataake, Minister for Communication, Transportation, Tourism and Industry Development
11. Hon. Mikarite Temari, Minister for Lines and Phoenix Islands Development
12.Hon. Atarake Nataara, Minister for Internal and Social Affairs
13. Hon. David Collins, Ministry for Women, Youth and Sports
14. Hon. Natan Teewe, Minister of Justice